Thursday, January 5, 2012

Hello World

First blog posts are always a little awkward. There are two basic ways to go about them. You can post nothing of substance at all, ("hey guiseee, im here, defs excited bout my new bloggg lol"). This, while I suppose it is an effective introduction, really leaves no incentive for the reader who just clicked on your link on Facebook to actually stick around a while and subscribe, as you haven't given them any content to digest and enjoy.

On the other hand, you can post a magnificent diatribe on how you would solve the Euro crisis or bridge the vacuous gap in the American economy, load it with links, pictures, quotes from stuffy political analysts and the like, and go do all those chores you neglected by spending five hours on a blog post. While this will give your readers a nice sampling of things to come, all your work will probably go to waste, as you have few or no readers to begin with. This is what I struggle with.

This blog will never be mindless drivel, nor will it be random brain-waves I have, nor will it be an exposition of my thoughts or feelings of the day. I hope by this blog to initiate and participate in meaningful discussion and debate about social issues that face people of my generation. I had a few ideas of awesome, polarizing, get-people-foaming-at-the-mouth-type posts, but I soon realized that this would largely be a lost cause, as I have as yet no followers. There is also the problem that I don't really know my audience yet. I want to engage in discussion with you (whoever you are. At the moment, you're nobody, since I haven't even posted yet. Ok, this is getting way too meta), and to do that, I have to know who you are.

So, this is neither a "Hey wassap I'm hereee" post, nor is it a politically-charged masterpiece of social reflection. It's a roll call. I want to know who you are, what interests you, and what your favourite colour is.*  So sign in, comment, and let's get the discussion started!




*Bonus points go to whoever can tell me the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.

1 comment: